Mangoes are chalked full of nutrients and there are 6 types that can be found in Panama during mango season.
Panama Wellness Group has plenty of options for these delicious Vitamin C-packed fruits and ways to enjoy them.
2 ripe avocados
1/4 c green onion, minced
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c carrot, shredded
1/4 c mango, minced
1/4 c beet, shredded
1. Scoop avocados out of peel carefully and arrange on a bed of mixed greens.
2. Stuff with veggies.
3. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
Pumpkin Mango Soup
1 medium pumpkin or winter squash (e.g. Hokkaido)
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups vegetable bouillon
salt and pepper to taste
nutmeg as garnish
4-5 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and ground
1. Wash, de-seed and cut up the pumpkin or squash.
2. Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
3. Put the pumpkin pieces in and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring to evenly coat the pumpkin.
4. Add the vegetable bouillon and cook on a medium heat until the pumpkin is soft.
5. While the pumpkin is cooking, lightly toast the walnuts in a dry frying pan.
6. Allow the walnuts to cool, then lightly grind.
7. Peel and slice the mango and cut in chunks.
8. Add the mango pieces to the soup.
9. Puree the pumpkin and mango to a smooth soup. If it is too thick you can add more vegetable stock or water too thin, or if so desired a non-dairy milk.
10. Season with cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve the soup garnished with the walnuts and a few dashes of nutmeg.
Servings: makes 2-3 rolls
This is my raw version of sushi rolls made at home to make me feel like I’m not missing anything! And I’m not, these are addictive and better than a sushi roll…shredded zucchini replaces traditional rice and leaves you feeling much lighter.
2-3 Nori (seaweed ) sheets
1 Med. mango, julianned
1/4 red pepper, julienned
1 Avocado, sliced
1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 cucumber, julienned
1. Lay down a Nori sheet
2. Cover with thin layer of shredded zucchini; leave 1.5” from two edges to be rolled up
3. (In a horizontal row across the sheet) place a single layer of each ingredient
4. Moisten edge of Nori sheet with a tomato, roll up tightly, slice into 8 pieces with a sharp knife, dip in soy sauce and wasabi. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (white and black) and some seaweed Japanese seasoning
2 cups of frozen mango
1 cup of coconut water or milk for a thicker shake
Dried dates for extra sweetness and fiber(optional)
Blend on high and drink up!
2 cups chopped ripe mango
2 cups white or apple cider vinegar
1 green Thai chile finely chopped (remove seeds if you don’t want too spicy)
¾ raspadurra (or brown sugar)
Place all into a saucepan on med-low heat. Simmering and stirring until ½ of original volume. It should be thick but not solid.
Remove from heat and jar into heat resistant jars.
If you are unsure about the jar you can place a metal spoon in the jar as you pour in the mixture to absorb the heat. Place on the lid and let cool.
Goes great on toast and with roasted turkey!
Green Mango Salad
Pick three (I prefer the Beefsteak) green mangoes
Green not as in hard and too bitter to eat, but green as in the correct size for a ripe mango but prior to it ripening!
Slice them lengthwise and place in a bowl and add a splash of apple cider vinegar and dash of salt and pepper!